Search result

Koivusaari nature trail

  • The Koivusaari nature trail runs entirely on duckboards. All the duckboards and information tables have been renewed. Photo: AT

    The Koivusaari nature trail runs entirely on duckboards. All the duckboards and information tables have been renewed. Photo: AT

  • You can explore the Railway monument along the nature trail. Photo: AT

    You can explore the Railway monument along the nature trail. Photo: AT

  • Koivusaari Island is a great destination near the city centre. Photo: AT

    Koivusaari Island is a great destination near the city centre. Photo: AT

  • There is a floating bird-watching tower in the southern tip of Koivusaari Island that can be accessed directly from duckboards. Photo: AT

    There is a floating bird-watching tower in the southern tip of Koivusaari Island that can be accessed directly from duckboards. Photo: AT

  • Besides birds, the island’s nature or grazing sheep can also be observed from the floating bird-watching tower. Photo: AT

    Besides birds, the island’s nature or grazing sheep can also be observed from the floating bird-watching tower. Photo: AT

  • In the summer, sheep are taken to Koivusaari Island for carrying out landscaping. Photo: AT

    In the summer, sheep are taken to Koivusaari Island for carrying out landscaping. Photo: AT

Koivusaari nature trail

The Koivusaari Nature Trail is located 2.3 km from the city centre of Rovaniemi toward Sodankylä, on Koivusaari, or Koivu Island, in the Ounas River delta. It is a part of Rovaniemi’s city centre trail network. The Koivusaari Nature Trail is well suited for spring, summer and autumn excursions. The delta islands of the Ounas River are low sand islands and sandbanks that get flooded in the spring. These islands form an important cultural landscape with valuable flora and fauna. They were utilised as meadows until the early 1960s.

An easy-access duckboard nature trail was built on Koivusaari in summer 2003. Information boards along the nature trail present the history, flora and fauna of Koivusaari. In the summer, there is a floating bird-watching tower at the end of the duckboards. In the area, there is also a monument to the railway that crossed the island from the city to Saarenkylä in the winters of 1946–1951. The flood-prone shores and delta islands are fertile natural meadows, and Koivusaari, right next to the city, was also used as a pasture up to the 1960s. As agriculture has decreased, the shoreline meadows have become rare, along with the flora and fauna that thrived on them. Today, sheep graze on the island during the summer.

Koivusaari is one of the small islands in the Ounas River delta whose shores offer shelter for nesting and migrating birds. Of the 135 bird species that have been spotted on the islands, 90–100 species have either nested there or been spotted during nesting season. For example, mute swans, white-tailed sea eagles, western marsh-harriers, glaucous gulls, and horned larks have been spotted. Endangered plants that grow in the area include the bluntleaf sandwort, almond willow, and the Finnish stitchwort. The islands feature vast areas of sedge and canary grass, small meadow rue, meadowsweet, creeping buttercup, cinnamon rose, and lily of the valley.

The round trip of the circular trail and the connecting trail is 2.5 km, and its difficulty level is easy. Benches are also provided for hikers along the nature trail. Next to the adjacent Ounaspaviljonki beach, there is a log-built lean-to equipped with a campfire site and woodshed. The area features toilets, a boat ramp and marina.

Directions: drive 2.6 km out of the city centre of Rovaniemi along Sodankyläntie; turn left on Ounasjoen itäpuolentie; drive 300 m; turn left into the Ounaspaviljonki parking area, where the nature trail is easiest to access. On the east side of the parking area, there is a 150-metre path over a bridge to the start of the nature trail. By bus you can reach the Kuusamontie intersection, which is about 500 m from the starting point of the trail. It is in use from June to October, opened as soon as the flooding in the Ounas River has receded.

Comments

Add comment
2.8/5
Aarno 9/5/2013 1:17 PM
Todella hyvä retkikohde lähellä keskustaa.
Paikallinen 7/19/2015 6:38 PM
Miellyttävä, maisemaltaan vaihteleva ja helppokulkuinen luontopolku!
Niina 6/18/2018 7:00 PM
Pettymys...
Kari kinnunen3 6/23/2019 1:48 PM
Onko aivan tosi ettei Rovaniemellä ole varaa tehdä invamitoitettua luontopolkuja???
RM 7/3/2019 8:02 AM
Löytyy pari eseetöntä luontopolkua kohtuullisen matkan päästä
https://www.etiainen.fi/gpsalbum/Konkaansaaren-esteeton-luontopolku/21ndifjx/4b904146-fc15-4b71-baa2-deeda50ef48e

https://www.etiainen.fi/gpsalbum/Olkkajarven-esteeton-luontopolku/21ndifjx/a9900bda-a7d3-4183-898e-de1eed235ef2
Kulkuri 10/2/2021 11:59 PM
Olkkajärven polku on poistettu. Vikaköngäs söi rahat.
Retkeilijä 7/3/2019 10:06 AM
Onko mitään tulipaikkaa tällä reitillä?
Etelän vetelä 6/14/2021 4:07 PM
Leppoisa kierros hyväkuntoisilla pitkospuilla. Ei erityistä nähtävää ainakaan näin alkukesästä. Ei näkynyt tulipaikkoja eikä penkkejä.
Kulkuri 10/3/2021 12:01 AM
Ei ole taida enää löytyä laavua kun vesileikkiyrittäjä valtasi tulistelupaikan.
Sini 6/17/2022 10:30 PM
Voiko koiran kanssa mennä tonne?
Ek 7/30/2022 4:59 PM
Voi mennä koiran kanssa mutta koira pitää olla kytkettynä koska siellä on lampaita jotka hoitaa luontoa.

Information

  • Length: 2.11 km
  • Difficulty level: Easy trail Easy trail
  • Time: 2 h
  • Viewed: 70841
  • Latitude: 66.5158860307592
  • Longitude: 25.7447491643356

Nearby destinations

  • Sculpture Walk in the City Centre
    The sculpture walk in the city centre includes 13 works of art. The route is 2.5 kilometres long and takes about an hour to get around on foot. You can find descriptions and photos of the artworks in the menu below...
  • Ensio Seppänen - Katkenneet kahleet (1981)
    There are three sculptures by artist Ensio Seppänen (b. 1924 in Kemi) in Rovaniemi. One of these is the monument to the Jäger Movement, completed in 1981 in Jääkäripuisto on Lapinkävijäntie. The sculpture is made of stone...
  • Reutersvärd Oscar - Aseveliketju (1964)
    The Aseveliketju monument to Swedish, Norwegian and Danish volunteers who fought in the Finnish Winter War in 1939–40 is located in Keskuskoulu park. The chain symbolises Nordic co-operation, especially during wartime. The purpose of the statue is to remind current and future generations of Nordic unity. Oscar Reutersvärd is a Swedish sculptor, painter, draughtsman and graphic artist...
  • Seppänen Ensio - Maidolla elämisen alku (1984)
    Located in Herva park, the sculpture Maidolla elämisen alku was completed in 1984 and commissioned by the Lapland provincial agriculture institute. The artist, Ensio Seppänen, is one of Finland's best-known realist sculptors. He has created more than a hundred works exhibited in public places. His works can be mainly found in Northern Finland, Sweden and Norway...
  • Kallio Kalervo - Jätkä-patsas (1955)
    Located in Jätkänpuisto at the western end of the bridge, the Jätkä-patsas donated by the company Kemi Oy is one of Rovaniemi's best-known sculptures. The statue's lumberjack has symbolised Rovaniemi for decades and is rightfully situated on the shores of a river that is widely known for its traditions in log floating. Kalervo Kallio has turned the lumberjack into a hero of labour. The drawknife and log depict what a lumberjack's work was typically like in the 1950s...
  • Liimatainen Kirsi - Karjalapatsas (1957)
    Located in Ruokasenpuisto, the Karjalapatsas statue was designed by Kirsi Liimatainen in 1957 and erected by Karelians in Lapland...
  • Eriksson Olaf - Monument to the 6th Division (1981)
    The 6th Division during the Continuation War was formed in 1941 mainly from men from Lapland. The monument is made of quartzite stone found in the village of Jaatila. Heraldist and graphic artist Olof Eriksson was by 1953 the most prolific designer of coats of arms for towns, municipalities and cities in Finland. In addition, he has designed medals and, together with Heikki Häiväoja, the Finnish 1-mark coin (1964)...
  • Kivijärvi Harry - Fenix-lintu (1990)
    The sculpture Fenix-lintu by Harry Kivijärvi is located in front of Rovaniemi Court of Appeal (formerly the office of the Bank of Finland) . With this piece, Kivijärvi participated in the Rovaniemi City Hall sculpture competition held in 1987. The winner was Kain Tapper's sculpture Vuorten synty, but the jury also recommended that Kivijärvi's sculpture be purchased at a later date. The Bank of Finland acquired the piece in 1990...
  • Nurminen Matti - Käräjäkivet (1995)
    Doors as a public work of art are a rarity in Finland. In the door relief of the Court of Appeal, Rovaniemi native Matti Nurminen has stylised the old symbol of justice, a pre-Christian stone circle for holding court. Matti Nurminen was born in 1947 in Rovaniemi. Today, he lives and works in Helsinki...
  • Huhtamo Kari - Teräskonstruktio (1986)
    In this piece, Huhtamo has structured space with light incisions. The starting point of the piece are thin, steel lines. The steel pipe draws a shape, enclosing a piece of space within it. The essence of the sculpture resembles the abstractness and intangibility created by lines drawn on paper...
  • Pullinen Laila - Primavera (1964)
    Primavera is Laila Pullinen's first public sculpture and was acquired shortly after her breakthrough exhibition in 1963 in Helsinki. The work is located in the inner yard of the Ainonkulma residential building. The sculpture's title refers to its inspiration, the famous painting Primavera by Italian Renaissance painter Botticelli from 1478. painting depicts a group dancing with three beautiful women...
  • Miettunen Sauli - Luonnon osa (2008)
    The sculpture Luonnon osa is made of concrete and rocks over a welded iron frame. The concrete is tinted, and the rocks have been chosen according to the shapes of a reindeer. The antlers are welded from stainless iron and stand as large as trees over the pile of rocks. The posture of the statue is reminiscent of a bow-legged, silly-looking reindeer standing frozen on the road in front of a car, unable to understand the danger it is in...
  • The Ounasvaara birch fairytale trail
    The fairytale trail consists of 6 waypoints. At each waypoint, people walking the trail stop to read a short chapter of the fairytale and use their senses to do activities centred around the themes of the tale. The length of the trail is approximately 800 metres each way and takes a little under an hour to complete, not counting time spent at waypoints. The Ounasvaara Birch is a fairytale by Annikki Setälä...
  • 6. Being seen, heard and understood. Valuing yourself and others
    “That night was the first moonlit night of the winter and the wedding of the smallest elf boy and the smallest elf girl. The bride was the youngest and smallest of 365 siblings. That was why her wedding was so late. Her siblings had celebrated theirs in the summer, when the cherry trees and the lilies bloomed...
  • Battle stations and concrete dugout on the eastern side of the railroad
    Remains of numerous man-made earthworks can be found alongside Ounasvaara railroad, including both trenches and machine-gun nests as well as auxiliary trenches related to guard activities. At least some of these probably date from the Lapland War. On the side of the hill, next to the railroad, there is a long trench, machine-gun nests and foxholes. No actual fighting took place in this area, however...
  • Mystery barracks and trench
    One barracks building, about which little details exist but which has an impressive concrete foundation, is located near the tower blocks. In the German drawings, a car repair shop or truck garage is marked on this spot. The building may also have been a kitchen. A pipe used to drain rainwater is protruding from the concrete...
  • Frontleitstelle 42 barracks camp area
    In this area between the railroad and Lähteentie was the Ounasvaara barracks camp of the front line headquarters, Frontleitsstelle 42, commissioned on 15 March 1943. The camp included numerous housing and storage barracks, apparently a large office building, garage, potato cellar, sauna and dressing room and several toilets – about thirty buildings in total. The area had a central square measuring approximately 10 by 60 metres, surrounded by four fairly large buildings. A shuttle transport to the camp was arranged from Rovaniemi railway station...
  • Finnish auxiliary workers' barracks and the labour question during the Continuation War
    According to German drawings, this was the site of a barracks for Finnish auxiliary workers, Finnische Hilfskräft, built in November and December 1943. The barracks, called Polar, was about eight by twelve metres in size and made of prefabricated plank wood elements. It was supplied by Puutalo Oy, a joint company formed by Finnish timber companies. It took a couple of days for Finnish carpenters to install and considerably longer for prisoners...
  • Officers' club and cultural activities during the war
    On this spot, sheltered by earth ramparts, probably stood the local officers' club, which the Germans called the casino. The club wasn't actually a casino, however. The servicemen had their own canteen along the present-day Lukkarinkatu and possibly elsewhere, too. The officers' club was a place of leisure for officers, hosting song nights and occasional guest performers such as singers or magicians...
  • German supply lines and coexistence with Finnish locals
    In this area, too, some remains of German porcelain tableware can be found, although nearly everything visible above-ground has long since been cleared away. The porcelain stamps reveal that the tableware have been imported from Germany's own factories. For example, Rosenthal tableware has been found in large numbers in the camps used by the Luftwaffe. Large amounts of porcelain were also imported from the Porsgrunn factories in Norway...
  • In and around the barracks of the Air Reconnaissance Regiment
    During the Continuation War, the Ounasvaara area of Rovaniemi was used extensively by the Germans. The area included several barracks, a hospital, bakery, veterinary and transport corps, prison camp used by the security services, front line headquarters, canteen for service personnel and, of course, Rommel's field. The area above the children's home and Ranuantie on the southwest slope of Ounasvaara hosted a fairly large barracks camp built by the Luftwaffe in 1942 and 1943. A part of the Luftnachtrichten-Regiment 56 transferred to Rovaniemi in December 1941...
  • Jaakonkatu 3
    Alvar Aalto designed three four-story commercial and residential buildings in a prominent location in the center of Rovaniemi for local businessman Aarne Aho. Later, Aalto also designed the private house Maison Aho for the same family. The Aho commercial and residential buildings are all located in the same block, forming a cohesive ensemble. The ground floors of the buildings house commercial spaces, while the upper floors originally contained apartments that have since been converted into office spaces...
  • Koskikatu 18
    Alvar Aalto designed three four-story commercial and residential buildings in a prominent location in the center of Rovaniemi for local businessman Aarne Aho. Later, Aalto also designed the private house Maison Aho for the same family. The Aho commercial and residential buildings are all located in the same block, forming a cohesive ensemble. The ground floors of the buildings house commercial spaces, while the upper floors originally contained apartments that have since been converted into office spaces...
  • Koskikatu 20
    Alvar Aalto designed three four-story commercial and residential buildings in a prominent location in the center of Rovaniemi for local businessman Aarne Aho. Later, Aalto also designed the private house Maison Aho for the same family. The Aho commercial and residential buildings are all located in the same block, forming a cohesive ensemble. The ground floors of the buildings house commercial spaces, while the upper floors originally contained apartments that have since been converted into office spaces...
  • Ounasvaara Summer trail
    The nearest point of the Ounasvaara Summer Trail is 1.6 km east of the Rovaniemi city centre. Ounasvaara is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. It is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area near the city centre of Rovaniemi with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. At Ounasvaara, you can practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...
  • Ounaspaviljonki lean-to
    The Ounaspaviljonki lean-to is located at approx. 2.6 km from the city centre of Rovaniemi in the Sodankylä direction in the Ounaspaviljonki area. Also the Koivusaari nature trail is nearby. It is a nature destination suited for spring, summer and autumn excursions...
  • Tuisku’s house, around the 1910s
    Shopkeeper A. E. Tuisku had a shop along Maantiekatu and a house on the shore of River Kemijoki. Tuisku being a local force served as a municipal foreman in municipal administration in 1897–1899 and as the foreman of the municipal board in 1912...
  • Beer factory, 1930s
    Before the war, the Tornio porter and beer factory operated in Rovaniemi along the current Koskikatu street. The factory building was completely destroyed in the war. After the war, the company considered transferring all beer manufacturing operations to Rovaniemi, but the new town plan did not allow for the factory site to be expanded. The factory was, however, rebuilt at the previous site and operated until 1972...
  • Castrèn’s trestle bridge, late 1940s
    The bridges crossing River Kemijoki were destroyed in the Second World War. A temporary trestle bridge was constructed every spring between 1946 and 1951 after the ice had broken at the site of the current Jätkänkynttilä Bridge. For a few winters, the Kemijärvi trains crossed the river on rails that were installed on the ice. A ferry boat also crossed the rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki...
  • Log floating on River Kemijoki, 1960
    The log floating on River Kemijoki began in the 1860s. Felling usually ended in March and then the logs were stored upstream, marked and measured. In the spring, the logs were debarked and, once the river had thawed, the floating of the logs along rivers to steam sawmills of the south began. The fall log floating started after salmon fishing ended on 15 August...
  • Maantiekatu street, late 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Wiiri boat, 1910s
    Although Rovaniemi was accessible by rail in the 1910s, northbound road connections from Rovaniemi were still rather modest. Steamboats Wiiri and Wanttaus transported passengers upstream from Lainaanranta along rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki in the 1910s. When cars became more frequent, the boat connections were considered slow and were terminated at the end of the 1920s...
  • Pitkäniemi Sawmill, 1910s
    The sawmill industry grew in Northern Finland in the latter half of the 19th century. The first steam sawmill of Rovaniemi, Pitkäniemi steam sawmill, was established in Sahanperä by River Ounasjoki in 1901. During the depression of the 1930s, the difficulties of the Pitkäniemi steam sawmill grew unbearable and it ended its operations in 1934...
  • Marttiini 9 December 1955
    Janne Marttiini established the Marttiini Knife Factory in 1928. As the operations of the factory grew, a functionalist factory building was completed in Vartiokatu street in 1940. The building was partly destroyed in the war, but was repaired right after the war. It is the sole industrial building of Rovaniemi to have survived the war...
  • Ahon Auto, late 1950s
    The current Kukkola company building was built in 1939 to serve as facilities for the Ahon Auto car shop. The building housed also a service station. The building is one of the few pre-war buildings representing functionalism in Rovaniemi...
  • Lauri’s workshop, 1950s
    Johannes Lauri established a company called Laurin Tuotteetand a knife factory in 1924. Besides knives, products made of reindeer antlers and bone were produced by the workshop, for example, as souvenirs. The original production building was destroyed during the Lapland War and a new one was built at its site. The current workshop and shop operate in a house built in the late 19th century that was transferred from the village of Namma to the workshop’s courtyard in the 1970s...
  • First railway station, around 1910s
    Rovaniemi’s first railway station was completed in 1909. Rovaniemi was enlivened by the railway; transport of goods became easier and passengers travelled. Once the new track was completed in 1934, the old station was transformed into housing for railway workers. Since the war, the building has served, among other things, as a post office, temporary railway station, women’s work house and the Provincial Museum of Lapland...
  • Ounasvaara winter trail
    The nearest point of the Ounasvaara Winter Trail is 1.6 km east of the Rovaniemi city centre. Ounasvaara, or Ounas Hill, is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. It is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area near the city centre of Rovaniemi with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. At Ounasvaara, you can practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower lean-to
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower Lean-to is 2.2 km east of Rovaniemi, on the western hillside of Ounasvaara, near the SantaSport Institute. The log-built lean-to features a campfire site and woodshed. It stands on a rocky hillside next to the observation tower, which offers magnificent views over the city and the Kemi River...
  • Koivusaari bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: The floating bird-watching tower of Koivusaari can be accessed either by boat or via a nature trail. Main road 4 (E75) passes at Rovaniemi through Koivusaari Island which is located at the confluence of rivers Ounasjoki and Kemijoki. On the Saarenkylä side, immediately on the western side of main road 4 is located the Ounaspaviljonki recreational area and marina. The Koivusaari nature trail begins at edge of the marina, near main road 4...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower is 2.2 km east of the city centre of Rovaniemi, on the western slope of Ounasvaara. The massive tower stands on the rocky hillside of Ounasvaara, amidst a pine forest along the Ounasvaara Winter Trail, at 160 m above sea level. You can access the observation deck via stairs and an intermediate platform. The tower has a roof, and it offers magnificent views over the city centre and the Kemi River...

Feedback

Send feedback

Share track


QR