Search result

Virikkolampi trail

  • There are clear markings along the Virikkolampi trail. Photo: AT

    There are clear markings along the Virikkolampi trail. Photo: AT

  • The Virikkolampi trail is marked with red and blue paint markings. Photo: AT

    The Virikkolampi trail is marked with red and blue paint markings. Photo: AT

  • The trail is rocky at points. Photo: AT

    The trail is rocky at points. Photo: AT

  • Mixed forest along the trail. Photo: AT

    Mixed forest along the trail. Photo: AT

  • There are task points of the forest skill track along the trail. Photo: AT

    There are task points of the forest skill track along the trail. Photo: AT

  • At points, the trail runs on terrain that is easy to walk. Photo: AT

    At points, the trail runs on terrain that is easy to walk. Photo: AT

  • There are also rocks along the trail. Photo: AT

    There are also rocks along the trail. Photo: AT

  • The cloudberry thrives along the trail. Photo: AT

    The cloudberry thrives along the trail. Photo: AT

  • There is spruce mire along the trail at several points. Photo: AT

    There is spruce mire along the trail at several points. Photo: AT

  • There are rest benches for hikers at the bog. Photo: AT

    There are rest benches for hikers at the bog. Photo: AT

  • There are information boards along the trail. Photo: AT

    There are information boards along the trail. Photo: AT

  • Virikkolampi Photo: AT

    Virikkolampi Photo: AT

  • The traditional Virikkolampi lean-to is situated in a beautiful spot on the shoreline forest of the pond. Photo: AT

    The traditional Virikkolampi lean-to is situated in a beautiful spot on the shoreline forest of the pond. Photo: AT

  • There is an abundance of ferns along Virikko-oja. Photo: AT

    There is an abundance of ferns along Virikko-oja. Photo: AT

  • Virikko-oja flows neat the trail. Photo: AT

    Virikko-oja flows neat the trail. Photo: AT

  • Shady spruce mire has a unique feel to it. Photo: AT

    Shady spruce mire has a unique feel to it. Photo: AT

  • The wood horsetail grows abundantly along the trail. Photo: AT

    The wood horsetail grows abundantly along the trail. Photo: AT

  • Massive forest can be seen in areas along the trail. Photo: AT

    Massive forest can be seen in areas along the trail. Photo: AT

  • The area features large boulders. Photo: AT

    The area features large boulders. Photo: AT

  • There are truly gorgeous spots of pine forest along the trail. Photo: AT

    There are truly gorgeous spots of pine forest along the trail. Photo: AT

Virikkolampi trail

The Virikkolampi Trail is in Pöyliövaara, a hill 3.1 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre and the Kemi River. In the winter, there are cross-country ski trails that connect to the ski trail network of Ounasvaara. Pöyliövaara is a popular berry-picking site in the summer.

The circular Virikkolampi Trail is 5.1 km long. The southern trail from the parking area to Virikkolampi, or Virikko Pond, is 2.4 km. It is in pretty good shape and easy to walk. Wet spots are covered by duckboards. The trail is marked with red colour on the trees. The difference in altitude of the whole trail is around 70 m. The biggest difference is in the very beginning before Lähdelampi. Most of the hills are only 6–7 degrees. One hill measures slightly over 10 m and 22 degrees.

After the Virikkolampi lean-to, the trail heads back up north toward the Lähdelampi lean-to. The return trail is 2.7 km long. It is in far worse shape than the start and passes through much denser areas with a lot of roots, rocks and wet spots.

The natural environment of the trail is very diverse, with mainly mixed spruce and pine forests. There are also different-aged forests: young seedling stands and old virgin forests. But the trail also passes spruce and pine mires. There are open bogs along the southern trail, and several massive boulders. You can fish for perch in Virikkolampi. In the summer, the area is rich with berries such as bilberries, and in good years, cloudberries as well. The level of difficulty is medium. You should allow 3–4 hours for the whole trail.

There is a log-built lean-to along the trail at Virikkolampi with views over the lake. The lean-to is equipped with a campfire site, a table and benches, a woodshed, and an outhouse.

Directions: drive 3.9 km out of the city centre of Rovaniemi along Kajaanintie, which turns into Ranuantie; turn right on Kemijoen itäpuolentie; drive 300 m; turn left into the Pöyliövaara parking area (150 m). The trail is accessible when the ground is free of snow from May to October. There are several daily bus connections to the parking area.

Comments

Add comment
1.5/5
Johanna 8/22/2015 3:23 PM
Kävin tämän tänään! Reitti oli kiva, mutta valitettavasti Virikkolammen laavulla oli jollain ollut bileet lasinsiruista ja roskista päätellen :(. Puuliiteri oli myös tyhjä, eli tulet jäivät tekemättä.
Päivi 10/29/2015 9:59 AM
Reitiltä puuttuu viitotus lähes kokonaan ja pitkospuut ovat huonossa kunnossa. Maalimerkkejä kyllä on joka suuntaan; pahin on neljän polun punaisella merkitty risteys, jossa ei ole yhtään viittaa. Tätä pitäisi vähän kunnostaa!

Information

  • Length: 6.87 km
  • Difficulty level: Intermediate trail Intermediate trail
  • Time: 4 h
  • Viewed: 7491
  • Latitude: 66.4682769043029
  • Longitude: 25.7535687396581

Nearby destinations

  • RolloMTB Official
    Mountain Biking Trail, marked in the terrain with paint. Riding time 1.5-2.5 hours. The trail is technical and features significant differences in altitude. You can embark on the trail from the Ounasvaara Ski Centre, Santasport, or the Ounasvaara side of the Jätkänkynttilä Bridge...
  • Harjulammen esteetön reitti
    The Harjulampi Accessible Trail starts 1.5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre, in Rantavitikka. The trail passes through the shoreline scenery of Harjulampi, a beautiful pond with a rich variety of birds. During the years 1967-1998, 85 bird species have been spotted there. 32 of them nest permanently...
  • Pöyliövaara accessible trail
    The Pöyliövaara Accessible Trail is around 3 km south of the city centre of Rovaniemi and the Kemi River. In the winter, ski trails connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry picking site in the summer. You can reach the accessible trail from the Kotikairantie parking area or the turning point a little farther along the way...
  • Rautiojärvi lean-to
    The Rautiojärvi Lean-to is 5.1 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre, 50 m from the beautiful north-western shore of Rautiojärvi, or Rautio Lake. In the winter, a ski trail managed by the Paavalniemi village association passes the lean-to. It features a campfire site, woodshed and outhouse. In the winter, the easiest way to access the lean-to is via the ski trail, which starts in Paavalniemi and passes the Rautiojärvi Lean-to on its way to Kursunkijärvi, where it returns to the Kemi River via Pöyliövaara...
  • Memory trail
    The Cultural Committee of Rovaniemi organised an open environmental art competition in spring 2010. The competition sought a piece or series of pieces that would unite the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi to form a cultural trail. The winning entry was entitled Muistojen reitti(memory trail) and submitted by Liisa Karintaus and Tiia Lepistö. The memory trail leads those going on foot or by bicycle to the historical sites of the city in addition to the cultural attractions of Rovaniemi...
  • Old Church, 16–17 July 1932
    The photograph shows the Old Church of Rovaniemi at the time of the parish’s 300th anniversary on 16–17 July 1932. The old wooden cruciform church seated 1,200 people, and was located close to the current church. Just before their northbound withdrawal, the German troops set the church on fire with petrol bombs. The new, current church was completed in August 1950...
  • View of Maantiekatu, around the 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Ounaskoski bridge, 1930s
    The railway from Rovaniemi to Kemijärvi was completed in 1934. On the first part of the route, large and expensive bridges needed to be built, such as the Ounaskoski bridge. The old bridge in the photograph was used only for about 10 years, because the German troops blew it up when withdrawing from Lapland in October 1944. The current bridge was completed in 1951...
  • Konttinen, 1910s
    The Konttinen Manor depicted from across River Kemijoki. The Konttinen Manor was commissioned by Norwegian timber businessman Terje Olsen in late 19th century. As of 1900, the manor housed the forest division of the Kemi company operating in the wood processing industry. The building was destroyed in the air raids of Rovaniemi in 1940...
  • Tuisku’s house, around the 1910s
    Shopkeeper A. E. Tuisku had a shop along Maantiekatu and a house on the shore of River Kemijoki. Tuisku being a local force served as a municipal foreman in municipal administration in 1897–1899 and as the foreman of the municipal board in 1912...
  • Beer factory, 1930s
    Before the war, the Tornio porter and beer factory operated in Rovaniemi along the current Koskikatu street. The factory building was completely destroyed in the war. After the war, the company considered transferring all beer manufacturing operations to Rovaniemi, but the new town plan did not allow for the factory site to be expanded. The factory was, however, rebuilt at the previous site and operated until 1972...
  • Castrèn’s trestle bridge, late 1940s
    The bridges crossing River Kemijoki were destroyed in the Second World War. A temporary trestle bridge was constructed every spring between 1946 and 1951 after the ice had broken at the site of the current Jätkänkynttilä Bridge. For a few winters, the Kemijärvi trains crossed the river on rails that were installed on the ice. A ferry boat also crossed the rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki...
  • Log floating on River Kemijoki, 1960
    The log floating on River Kemijoki began in the 1860s. Felling usually ended in March and then the logs were stored upstream, marked and measured. In the spring, the logs were debarked and, once the river had thawed, the floating of the logs along rivers to steam sawmills of the south began. The fall log floating started after salmon fishing ended on 15 August...
  • Maantiekatu street, late 1910s
    Maantiekatu used to be the main road of Rovaniemi.  Over 30 shops varying from hardware shops to delicatessens were located along the street in the 1910s, not to mention the Rovaniemi markets. This photograph taken from the old church’s tower shows buildings on Maantiekatu; at the front are the post office and Ida Hannula’s book and paper shop, the Konttinen Manor is visible in the background...
  • Wiiri boat, 1910s
    Although Rovaniemi was accessible by rail in the 1910s, northbound road connections from Rovaniemi were still rather modest. Steamboats Wiiri and Wanttaus transported passengers upstream from Lainaanranta along rivers Kemijoki and Ounasjoki in the 1910s. When cars became more frequent, the boat connections were considered slow and were terminated at the end of the 1920s...
  • Pitkäniemi Sawmill, 1910s
    The sawmill industry grew in Northern Finland in the latter half of the 19th century. The first steam sawmill of Rovaniemi, Pitkäniemi steam sawmill, was established in Sahanperä by River Ounasjoki in 1901. During the depression of the 1930s, the difficulties of the Pitkäniemi steam sawmill grew unbearable and it ended its operations in 1934...
  • Marttiini 9 December 1955
    Janne Marttiini established the Marttiini Knife Factory in 1928. As the operations of the factory grew, a functionalist factory building was completed in Vartiokatu street in 1940. The building was partly destroyed in the war, but was repaired right after the war. It is the sole industrial building of Rovaniemi to have survived the war...
  • Ahon Auto, late 1950s
    The current Kukkola company building was built in 1939 to serve as facilities for the Ahon Auto car shop. The building housed also a service station. The building is one of the few pre-war buildings representing functionalism in Rovaniemi...
  • Lauri’s workshop, 1950s
    Johannes Lauri established a company called Laurin Tuotteetand a knife factory in 1924. Besides knives, products made of reindeer antlers and bone were produced by the workshop, for example, as souvenirs. The original production building was destroyed during the Lapland War and a new one was built at its site. The current workshop and shop operate in a house built in the late 19th century that was transferred from the village of Namma to the workshop’s courtyard in the 1970s...
  • Postal vehicle depot, 1940s
    Finland’s first postal vehicle line between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä was inaugurated in 1921. The postal vehicle depot was completed in 1931–1933. After the Second World War, the depot was expanded and housing was also provided to depot workers who had lost their homes. Bricks collected from the city’s ruins were used as construction material...
  • First railway station, around 1910s
    Rovaniemi’s first railway station was completed in 1909. Rovaniemi was enlivened by the railway; transport of goods became easier and passengers travelled. Once the new track was completed in 1934, the old station was transformed into housing for railway workers. Since the war, the building has served, among other things, as a post office, temporary railway station, women’s work house and the Provincial Museum of Lapland...
  • Workers’ hall, 1920s
    The hall of the local workers’ association built in part as voluntary work by loggers served as the headquarters of the Red Guards during the Finnish Civil War in 1918. In February 1918, the White Guards had a strong hold on Rovaniemi and the local workers’ association did not get the hall back for their own use until 1920. The building burnt down during the Lapland War in 1944, but a new hall was built at the site in 1949...
  • Second railway station, 7 July 1935
    The second railway station became necessary, when the train connection to Kemijärvi was constructed. The photo shows people waiting for the train transporting President Pehr Evind Svinhufvud to arrive at the station...
  • Pöyliövaara children’s trail
    The Pöyliövaara Children’s Trail is located 3.1 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre and the Kemi River. In the winter, there are ski trails that connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry picking site in the summer. The trail is 270 m long, running almost completely on duckboards...
  • Ounasvaara winter trail
    The nearest point of the Ounasvaara Winter Trail is 1.6 km east of the Rovaniemi city centre. Ounasvaara, or Ounas Hill, is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. It is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area near the city centre of Rovaniemi with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. At Ounasvaara, you can practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...
  • Lähdelampi lean-to
    The Lähdelampi Lean-to is 3.2 km south of Rovaniemi on the shore of Lähdelampi, a pond in Pöyliövaara. The large board-built lean-to features a campfire site, table and benches. There is a woodshed and outhouse nearby...
  • Lähde lean-to
    The Lähde Lean-to is 3.8 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre along the Virikkolampi trail in Pöyliövaara. The log-built lean-to is on the edge of a dry coniferous forest, featuring a campfire site and a woodshed...
  • Virikkolampi lean-to
    The Virikkolampi Lean-to is around 5 km south of the Rovaniemi city centre on the shore of the pond Virikkolampi on the southern side of the Pöyliövaara hill, along the Virikkolampi Trail. The log-built lean-to offers a view over the pond and features a campfire site, table, benches, woodshed and outhouse. There is also another campfire site with benches nearby...
  • Ounasvaara nature trail lean-to
    The Ounasvaara Nature Trail lean-to is 3.8 km east of Rovaniemi, along the nature trail on the southern edge of the Ounasvaara hill. The log-built lean-to is below massive outcrops, featuring a campfire site and woodshed. There is a clear, bubbling spring around 100 m down to the left from the lean-to. In the winter, you can access the lean-to from the same place along a marked winter trail, or by snowshoe through the forest...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower lean-to
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower Lean-to is 2.2 km east of Rovaniemi, on the western hillside of Ounasvaara, near the SantaSport Institute. The log-built lean-to features a campfire site and woodshed. It stands on a rocky hillside next to the observation tower, which offers magnificent views over the city and the Kemi River...
  • Kukanniemi lean-to
    The Kukanniemi Lean-to is 2 km south-east of the Rovaniemi city centre on Ranuantie before the Local History Museum in Pyökkölä. The log-built lean-to is next to the parking area on the bank of the Kemi River, featuring a campfire site and firewood, as well as a boat ramp nearby...
  • Jyrhämänkuja lean-to
    The Jyrhämänkuja Lean-to is in the city centre of Rovaniemi behind the health centre in Sairaalanniemi. The log-built lean-to is on a spit in the bank of the Kemi River, featuring a campfire site, firewood and benches. You can reach the Jyrhämänkuja parking area by car. The path to the lean-to is 100 m...
  • Paavalniemi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from Rovaniemi Jätkänkynttilä bridge along Kajaanintie road (road 78) to Ranua and Kajaani direction for approx. 3.5 km and turn onto Kemijoen itäpuolentie road (road 926) at the Tervola sign. Drive along the Kemijoen itäpuolentie road for approx. 2.5 km, then turn right (to west) at the Paavalniemi sign...
  • Harjulampi bird-watching tower
    Arrival instructions: Drive from the Church of Rovaniemi along Yliopistonkatu Street towards Rantavitikka. The first pond on the right is Kirkkolampi and the second pond on the right is Harjulampi. The bird-watching tower is situated at the junction of Yliopistonkatu and Korvanranta and signposts lead from the junction to the tower. You can park your car, for example, in the yard of the nearby Rantavitikka School...
  • Ounasvaara observation tower
    The Ounasvaara Observation Tower is 2.2 km east of the city centre of Rovaniemi, on the western slope of Ounasvaara. The massive tower stands on the rocky hillside of Ounasvaara, amidst a pine forest along the Ounasvaara Winter Trail, at 160 m above sea level. You can access the observation deck via stairs and an intermediate platform. The tower has a roof, and it offers magnificent views over the city centre and the Kemi River...
  • Pöyliövaara spring trail
    The Pöyliövaara Water Spring Trail is 3.1 km south of the city centre of Rovaniemi and the Kemi River. In the winter, there are ski trails that connect to the Ounasvaara ski trail network. Pöyliövaara, or Pöyliö Hill, is a popular berry-picking site in the summer. The water spring trail is clearly marked in the terrain with red paint...
  • Ounasvaara nature trail
    The Ounasvaara Nature Trail is 2.9 km east of the city centre of Rovaniemi. It is an ideal day-trip destination because of its easy accessibility. Ounasvaara, or Ounas Hill, is not only a famous sports centre but also a year-round recreation area right by the city centre, with marked and maintained trails and several great vantage points. Ounasvaara offers the opportunity to practise almost 50 different sports, and the selection keeps growing...

Share track


QR